Feb 24, 2007

Groundbreaking Survey of Doctors Shows Most Oppose Abortion and Won't Refer Women to Doctors Who Do Them

by Steven Ertelt/TN : Feb 13, 2007 : LifeNewshttp://www.lifenews.com/nat2919.html

"...I was always taught I have two patients: the mother and the baby. Why would I want to send somebody out to hurt their baby?"



In what is believed to be the first comprehensive survey of the moral attitudes of physicians, a new survey of doctors nationwide by University of Chicago researchers finds 52 percent said they oppose abortion and others wouldn't refer women considering an abortion to a place that does them. According to the report in LifeNews, the survey also found some physicians believe it is appropriate to withhold information about abortion on moral grounds.

Dr. Gary Smith, an obstetrician and gynecologist at the Women's Health Center at Robinwood in Hagerstown, Maryland, who does not do abortions or refer women to doctors that do, told the Baltimore Sun: "They know it's an option. They don't need me to tell them abortion exists. I was always taught I have two patients: the mother and the baby. Why would I want to send somebody out to hurt their baby?"

No comments: